Use Notification Centre on Mac
In Notification Centre on your Mac, you can catch up on notifications you missed and use widgets to view appointments, birthdays, the weather, top headlines and more — all on your desktop.
Open or close Notification Centre on your Mac
On your Mac, do any of the following:
- Open Notification Centre: Click the date and time in the menu bar, or swipe left with two fingers from the right edge of the trackpad.
- Close Notification Centre: Click anywhere on the desktop, click the date and time in the menu bar, or swipe right with two fingers towards the right edge of the trackpad.
Use notifications in Notification Centre on your Mac
In Notification Centre, move the pointer over a notification, then do any of the following:
- Expand or collapse a stack of notifications: If an app’s notifications are grouped, multiple notifications are stacked. To expand the stack and see all the notifications, click anywhere in the top notification. To collapse the stack, click Show less.
- Take action: Click the action. For example, click Snooze in a notification from the Calendar app, or click Reply in a notification from the Mail app.If an action has an arrow next to it, click the arrow for more options. For example, to reply to a call using the Messages app, click the arrow next to Decline, then choose Reply with Message.
- See more details: Click the notification to open the item in the app. If an arrow is shown to the right of the app name, click the arrow to see details in the notification.
- Change an app’s notification settings: If an arrow is shown to the right of the app name, click the arrow, click the More button , then choose an option:
- Deliver Quietly: Notifications are not shown in the upper-right corner of the screen or on the Lock screen (they are shown in Notification Centre), and a sound is not played when you receive notifications.
- Deliver Prominently: Notifications are shown in the upper-right corner of the screen and on the Lock screen (and in Notification Centre), and a sound is played when you receive notifications.
- Turn Off: Notifications are not received. To turn on notifications again for the app, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Notifications, select the app on the left, then click Allow Notifications on the right (blue indicates notifications are turned on).
- Notification Preferences: Show the app’s notification settings in Notifications preferences.
- Clear a single notification or all notifications in a stack: Click the Clear or Clear All button .
Use widgets in Notification Centre on your Mac
In Notification Centre, do any of the following:
- See more details: Click anywhere in a widget to open the related preferences, app or web page. For example, click anywhere in the Clock widget to open Date & Time preferences, or click anywhere in the Reminders widget to open the Reminders app.
- Remove a widget: Press and hold the Option key while you move the pointer over the widget, then click the Remove button .
Customise Notification Centre on your Mac
- On your Mac, open Notification Centre, then click Edit Widgets at the bottom.
- Do any of the following:
- Find a widget: Use the search field to search for a widget, or click a category, such as Clock, to preview available widgets.
- Add a widget: In the widget preview, click a size (if available), move the pointer over the widget in the preview, then click the Add button . The widget’s added to the active widgets on the right.
- Rearrange widgets: In the active widgets, drag a widget to a different location.
- Edit a widget: In the active widgets, move the pointer over the widget (Edit Widget appears below its name), then click anywhere in the widget. The widget flips to reveal settings you can customise — for example, you can change the list shown in the Reminders widget. When you’re ready, click Done.
- Resize a widget: In the active widgets, Control-click a widget, then choose a different size.
- Remove an active widget: Move the pointer over an active widget, then click the Remove button .
- When you’re ready, click Done at the bottom of the active widgets.